The Texas Historical Commission marker erected in 1973, 100 years after the church’s founding, states The First Presbyterian Church of Maysfield, Texas was,
“Organized in August 1873 by the Rev. Levi Tenney (1823-1907), with nine members. One of two original ruling elders was early settler T. N. Mayes (1812-1891), donor of townsite of Maysfield, which was named for him. The congregation erected this building, its first, in 1883; it was dedicated in 1884 by Dr. S. A. King of Waco. The first resident pastor (1886) was the Rev. J. K. P. Newton (1843-1898).
This church has furnished three ministers to Arkansas, Georgia, and Texas Presbyteries: The Rev. Henry M. Bailey, Dr. C. Edgar Newton, and the Rev. James W. Newton.”